Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Big Circle

Last week I submitted this blog to Google (according to spell check, I just spelled blog and Google incorrectly). Tonight I thought I'd Google my name to see if the blog came up. It did not. And for those who couldn't guess, I don't have a very common last name. On the second page of the Google results, something interesting came up. It was a burial plot listing with my name on it. Joseph Holod, 1935-1991. That makes me feel like I need to put things into perspective. He died just after I came to be. Was he anything like me, or, rather, am I anything like him? I would doubt that there is another Joseph Holod right now. Is there always just one Joseph Holod at a time? If that's the case, then I wonder what the ones before I were like. Holod is a Czech name, and Joseph is Biblical name. I suppose it wouldn't take someone being an American immigrant to have the first name Joseph - the name has been around for over 2,000 years before the United States was even colonized. Joseph Holod's could have been around now for millennia! It makes one wonder. It's strange to try and come to turns with the idea that in the circle of life, you really aren't the first or the last.

No comments: